Told in language of great simplicity and power, it is the story of an old Cuban fisherman, down on his luck, and his supreme ordeal — a relentless, agonizing battle with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream.
Here Hemingway recasts, in strikingly contemporary style, the classic theme of courage in the face of defeat, of personal triumph won from loss. Written in 1952, this hugely successful novella confirmed his power and presence in the literary world and played a large part in his winning the 1954 Nobel Prize for Literature.
Leonardo says: ‘One of my favorites authors is Ernest Hemingway…’
Leonardo DiCaprio is an award-winning actor and a three-time Academy Award nominee. His next film projects include:
- Roosevelt, a biographical drama about President Theodore Roosevelt
- Killers of the Flower Moon, a telling of the tragedy that birthed the FBI in the USA, the mysterious murders of members of the Osage tribe in the 1920s
- The Black Hand, a feature adaptation of Stephan Talty’s book of the same name, which deals with bringing Italian-American gangs in New York City to justice.
The Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation is dedicated to the long-term health and wellbeing of all Earth’s inhabitants. Through collaborative partnerships, Leonardo and his team support innovative projects that protect vulnerable wildlife from extinction, while restoring balance to threatened ecosystems and communities. LDF works in six key conservation areas: oceans; wildlife; climate; indigenous rights; transforming California; and innovative solutions to bring cutting-edge technology to environmental issues. In September 2017, LDF announced its largest-ever portfolio of environmental grants (USD $20 million), increasing the organisation’s total direct financial impact to over USD $80 million since 1998.
Leonardo’s most recent films available on download, Blu-ray or DVD are:
- The Revenant (2015): UK: Amazon | USA: Amazon
- The Wolf of Wall Street (2013): UK: Amazon | USA: Amazon
- The Great Gatsby (2013): UK: Amazon | USA: Amazon
Make donations to the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation via the organisation’s Crowdrise fundraising page.
Please visit our Book Bulletin crowdfunding project at CrowdPatch to buy recommendations for our Winter catalogue and to volunteer your skills, experience and contacts. All funds raised will support the not-for-profit Jolabokaflod Book Campaign’s programme for 2018.