Please visit our Book Bulletin 2018 crowdfunding project at CrowdPatch to buy recommendations for our Winter 2018 catalogue and to volunteer your skills, experience and contacts. All funds raised will support the not-for-profit Jolabokaflod Book Campaign’s programme for 2018.
Choosing books to buy, give and read …
(1) for Christmas
The Book Bulletin for winter adapts the established Icelandic tradition of Bókatíðindi – a key feature of Jólabókaflóð – to fit the shape of the global book trade. Rather than showcasing every new or revised title published this year in a catalogue sent to every household in the country, our Book Bulletin shares titles online that are loved and championed by avid readers everywhere.
Books make for ideal Christmas presents – they are cheap, can be read immediately, are portable (whatever the format), flexible and last for more than a day. Books can change lives forever.
Here’s how you can get involved in making the Book Bulletin as representative of your tastes as possible
- Introduction: Find out more about how the Book Bulletin is structured – including how you can make recommendations for inclusion in the catalogue to share the books you love – and how the Book Bulletin links in with the 73-year-old tradition of Jólabókaflóð in Iceland
- Book of the Day: During our Book Bulletin crowdfunding campaign, in the lead up to Christmas and beyond, discover our ‘Book of the Day’ recommendation, chosen just for you, revealed on a day-by-day basis
- Recommendations: Explore the titles in the Book Bulletin to make your choices of which books to buy as gifts for loved ones to read over the festive season and beyond. You can also make your own recommendations – via our Book Bulletin crowdfunding campaign – and see them displayed next to your name, your organisation/project (optional), with links to publicise you, the work you do, and the causes you feel passionate about. (See also our previous catalogue: Winter 2016.)
- Acknowledgements: See your name and organisation/project (optional) listed in a page of contributors to the current Book Bulletin crowdfunding campaign at CrowdPatch. (See also our previous catalogue: Winter 2016.)
The Book Bulletin needs your input. Get your recommendation rewards today, and the books you choose for the catalogue and send us via InMail or email will be added without delay. The 2018 crowdfunding campaign launched into the public sphere on 21 October 2017, to coincide with the First Day of Winter in the Old Nordic calendar, a festival day celebrated in Iceland.
The call for recommendation entries in a normal year closes on 14 February (Valentine’s Day and International Book Giving Day). What better way of celebrating Valentine’s Day by giving a book to your loved one from the recommendations included in the Book Bulletin catalogue?
(2) for summer holidays
The other time of year when people generally have time to read to pleasure is during their summer vacations. Whether people like sight-seeing, adventure holidays or lying on the beach, they often have downtime – especially when travelling – that lends itself to reading books
Our Book Bulletin for summer captures recommendations for every taste when we are taking a break from our daily lives to get away from it all.
Our Sumarbokaflod season encourages people to buy and borrow books for themselves and loves ones to enjoy reading on their summer holidays. Whether people prefer to take printed titles or download ebooks to their ereaders and smartphones, books make ideal leisure and entertainment companions for summer breaks – they are cheap, can be read immediately, are portable (whatever the format), flexible (they even ‘work’ when covered in sand) and can stay in hearts and minds for a lifetime. Books are not such summer romances.
The Book Bulletin for summer is curated in exactly the same way as its winter version. As in section (1) above, the summer catalogue comprises an introduction, ‘Book of the Day’ selections, Recommendations in catalogue form and a roll call of acknowledgements.
The Book Bulletin needs your input. Get your recommendation rewards today, and the books you choose for the catalogue and send us via InMail or email will be added without delay. In a normal year, the Sumarbokaflod season starts on the First Day of Summer in the Old Nordic calendar, another Icelandic festival day, and ends on 8 September (International Literacy Day). World Book and Copyright Day is always marked, too, as it falls on 23 April every year.
(3) choose titles from our Book Bulletin catalogues
All editions of the Book Bulletin are available for you to browse for ideas regarding books you can buy as gifts for friends, family and as special treats for yourself:
Thank you so much for your support, through winter and summer, this and every year.